Sigma Alpha Epsilon
The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship, and service for our members based upon the ideals set forth by our Founders and as specifically enunciated in “The True Gentleman.”
ΣAE offers a student loan program to assist undergraduate brothers in financing their education.
ΣAE has an awards program to recognize outstanding contributions to Sigma Alpha Epsilon by alumni, undergraduates, chapters, and others.
ΣAE encourages new members programs, which enhance each individual’s personal growth.
ΣAE has the largest alumni base of any other national fraternity with more than 190,000 living alumni. This fact means that you have a built-in network to help you attain a job after college or an internship in college. There are over 175 Alumni Associations across the country, which will be a tremendous resource to you in the years.
• Founded in 1856 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
• 1st Fraternity to start a Leadership School geared toward undergraduate students, over 32,000 graduates since its inception
• More than 8,200 undergraduate members at over 210 chapters in 48 states and Canada
• Over 190,000 living alumni active in more than 175 alumni associations across the nation
• The Fraternity communicates through The Record magazine, a quarterly publication that has been published continuously since 1880
• ΣAE offers a scholarship program and has loaned out more than 20 million dollars to help students earn their degree.
Local – Indiana Gamma
• Indiana Gamma was founded at IU in 1907
• Re-chartered on April 18, 2009
• Top 10 G.P.A. average ranking - 3.12
• Nominated "Best Brotherhood" at IU in 2008
• Indiana Gamma owns land on Jordan
The True Gentleman
For over 50 years, Brothers and pledges of Sigma Alpha Epsilon have said the True Gentleman – a single sentence first published in the Baltimore Sun and later used in the pledge manual of Sigma Alpha Epsilon – The Phoenix. With the exception of the ritual, it is the words of the True Gentleman that best embody the ideals and standards of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
Brotherhood is the most fundamental aspect of fraternity life. It is the common strand that intertwines every ΣAE member, drawing us together by shared goals and experiences. Through this special kind of friendship, every ΣAE makes a commitment to something outside himself, a commitment to people, to friends. ΣAE is like a family, and like a family, brothers of ΣAE honestly care for each other. In ΣAE, the friendships you gain and cultivate will flourish for life. With such strong brotherhood as a springboard, you can become a better leader, a better citizen and a True Gentleman.
ΣAE is the largest national social fraternity, with over 282,000 initiated members since our founding in 1856. Indiana Gamma has a great alumni base, over 2000 alums from Indiana University alone. ΣAE has been rated the #1 national fraternity for more than 53 years by the College Survey Bureau.
ΣAE at Indiana University relies on rolling recruitment to add new members. In doing this, we can ensure that we truely are getting quality over quantity. If you believe you embody the TG and want to know more about us contact our Recruitment Chairs by email.