For over 100 years, Alpha Sigma Tau has been an active presence at universities and colleges across the country. From its beginnings in 1899 to today, the Purpose of the Sorority has been to promote the ethical, cultural, and social development of its members and members have maintained high standards of scholarship, friendship, and social grace.
Alpha Sigma Tau’s first ten years was a period of establishing an appropriate foundation to move toward the structure needed to develop a national organization. In April 1905, a group of women at Central Michigan Normal School (now Central Michigan University), in Mt. Pleasant, joined Alpha Sigma Tau as Beta Chapter. Other chapters soon affiliated, and by April 1926, the Sorority had achieved membership in AES. The Sorority’s first convention was held in Detroit, Michigan, where the Sorority magazine, The ANCHOR, was established.
The Alpha Sigma Tau National Foundation was incorporated in 1982 to promote and expand the educational and charitable activities of the Sorority. The major milestone has provided Alpha Sigma Tau with the means to make stronger philanthropic contributions and to more readily provide academic scholarships to sisters. From the beginning, alumnae involvement as been an important part of membership in Alpha Sigma Tau. Alumnae have been instrumental in the expansion and growth of the Sorority, providing guidance and support to Collegiate Chapters, and taking leadership roles in Greek organizations. They have also staffed Headquarters, coordinated Conventions, and funded major Sorority projects.
Today, Collegiate and Alumnae Sisters continue to form strong and lasting bonds in Alpha Sigma Tau. The Sorority’s programs and social service projects continue to enrich the lives of many, helping Sisters contribute our share to the progress of mankind. We welcome new sisters and help each other grow to be contributing members of our community.
Alpha Sigma Tau was founded at Michigan State Normal College in Ypsilanti, Michigan on November 4, 1899 by: Helene M. Rice, May Gephart, Mayene Tracy, Mable Chase, Harriet Marx, Eva O'Keefe, Adriance Rice, and Ruth Dutcher.
Alpha Sigma Tau was established at Radford University in 1953. Before that we were originally known as Lambda Sigma Pi, a local sorority. LSP started at Radford University on October 13, 1939, making us the oldest social sorority established at Radford University. It's founding sisters were: Dorothy Hagner, Mahel Hurley, Kathleen Estall, Elizabeth Crauford, Evenlyn Rotenberry, Agnes Palmer, Louise Fincen, Margurita Cererallo, Carale McMalleem, Lina Toledo, Virginia Keith, and Pauline Perdue.
In 1952, Lambda Sigma Pi considered the benefits of joining a national sorority. they came upon Alpha Sigma Tau and were very excited to see the they not only had the same colors and flower but Alpha Sigma Tau also mirrored their goals and aspirations for the chapter's future. On January 15th 1953, the Alpha Lambda Chapter of Alpha Sigma Tau was installed here at Radford University.
Emblems of Alpha Sigma Tau
Colors: Emerald Green and Gold
Flower: Yellow Rose